Monday, September 1, 2008

A Dog, a Ball and a Nightmare.

I just learned about this blog today. My sister in law in Tennessee emailed me about the boycott and asked me to do the same. I investigated the whole thing as far as I can- check the company website for any sign of doing the right thing and recalling the product, read the blog on the dog victim and then forward to my dog show world connections. I'm appalled at the response, or total lack of, of this company. Here's the link to the owners blog. http://www.thechaistory.blogspot.com/
Let me know what you think.


In the meantime, here's what I think. I think if this was marketed as a kids toy it'd be all over the news. The recall would be announced on all major news channels and the CPSC (http://www.cpsc.gov/) would be sending me an email announcement. Pets get a short stick. Yeah, yeah- I know dogs aren't kids- blah blah blah. In my house they are- so there! Arthur is just as much a family member as #1 and #2. Don't bother to start about that- you'd be preaching to the willfully deaf. I grew up with dogs- breeding, training and showing them. They have slept on my bed and I've slept on the floor by a sick dog as much as or probably more than I've slept with my kids when they're sick. They all (kids and pets alike) beg and plead for what they want, they all want more of my attention than they think they get and they all are spoiled. Most days I'd rather have Arthur with me for a long ride in the car- no "are we there yet?", "can we play my CD?", "I'm hungry." etc. Nope- he'll ride shotgun for as long as I want. When he's tired or bored there is no whining about it- he just goes to sleep. He even rides buckled in- no kidding. He's got a harness and it clips to the seatbelt. At 70 pounds he wasn't going to ride on one of those little doggy seats for the itty bitty bunch. Arthur can see out the window from his seat without help. I like the dog as a family member. We chose to drive all the way to New Jersey to buy him from a breeder who raised the bullies in the house with her kids. We spent a good penny for him to get a true example of the breed. He puts up with everything the kids can dish out and never gives them a cross look. He can go to his rug (big heap of blankets he configures to his satisfaction) and be done with them although that doesn't happen often. He worships both kids- where else will a dog get attention, sloppy eaters who drop all sorts of tasty treats, the coolest toys left everywhere- some have lights and make noise when sat on by man or beast. #2 is great for opening the fridge and not caring who steals from the lower shelves. Not to mention the need #1 has to give biscuits and help train him. He'd rather sleep on the sofa with #2 climbing all over him than on his rug without #2. It's a very codependent relationship the little beasts have going. Add the cats to that and some days it's like living in a zoo- or an insane asylum after the inmates have taken over. Guess what- I'm raising the wee folk in the same vein. #1 is already going to dog shows and matches. My life is complete- another generation has gone to the dogs!

You're right- it's not Arthur. Arthur is not a conformation dog. This little furry friend belongs to #1s 3rd Grandma. A very good friend of the family and my first official employer, Marilyn, or Miss Marilyn, as #1 calls her, is another one of the kids fan club. This was at the Kennel Club of Niagara Falls sanctioned match earlier this year. The poodle took First place, Best of Breed and a group fourth. Not bad for a 7 year old who doesn't own the dog so she can't practice till she drops. The good news is- everyone there was most gracious to the kid and she really enjoyed the experience. The thrill of the ribbons and being treated like the adult exhibitors (in her mind) but with the kindness and encouragement necessary to raise the baby handlers up right really made her feel special. A big thanks to all who interacted with her that day- I'm sure you all know who you are. Every kindness shown to kids at shows helps develop the next generation of exhibitors to be the best they can be.

Back to the poor dog in the story this started about- I hope his life returns to a happy state and he adapts to his loss. It's such a rotten thing to happen just because the ball had only one hole and if you're chewing on it (c'mon folks- a chew toy???) when your tongue is on the hole it could get pulled into the hole. That's just twisted. Has anyone out there tried to tell a dog not to get his tongue near the hole on his chew toy? I'm sure someone has- people do the darndest things-have they had any luck??? If so- can you email me and help me teach #2 not to sit on balloons and then be surprised when they pop on his butt?? But (pardon the pun) that's a whole other story...
Have a Happy Labor Day, folks.

No comments: