Thursday, September 11, 2008

September 11

I remember, like so many others do, where I was and what I was doing on this date in 2001. I was in the kitchen making breakfast for my then four and a half month old daughter. The radio was on to wben 930 when I heard the news that the World Trade Center had been hit by a plane. I remember thinking that that had to be a horrible accident until a few minutes later there was a second plane flown into the second tower. I realized we were under attack in our own country. It didn't matter that I was in a kitchen nearly 400 miles from the Towers, I was stunned. Breakfast was served that day in front of the television while watching the news, not cartoons. As the day unfolded calls flew to family and I later had to drive to work to switch finished paperwork for that which needed to be done. I drove as glued to the radio as everyone else. Work was in such a state, decisions were being made to not only close the office but to totally power down everything in case of further attacks or power interruptions. As I drove home I was thinking of my uncle, in midtown manhattan. My mother had spoken to him and he was fine and well out of harms way but just to have someone close to NYC was very intense.
The nerve to strike at our military by hitting the Pentagon! Did anyone really believe this would cripple the U.S.A.?? I think the heroes on Flight 93 are a good example of why that will never work. I heard the President today giving a speech that spoke of the steel and stone that the plane broke at the Pentagon and I immediately thought of the bodies that were broken that day but that the spirit was not broken. At the Pentagon, a group rushed and grabbed the flag and that reminds me that the USA is so much more than we hear. We live in a super power, some hate us for our excesses, or waste, or debauchery but they don't understand that none of that is what makes this country strong. It isn't the Hollywood celebrities or news making celebutantes who revel in the pathetic and unimportant, it isn't the politicians who believe everything they say to be gospel. It's the people who go about their lives everyday to make so much possible for so many. People who stop to help someone in need without batting an eye or expecting a reward. People who respect the need we have to be different from each other. We may not be able to get along all the time but in times of tragedy- so many differences, of opinion, belief, color, ethnicity- can be put aside to stand shoulder to shoulder against a threat. Terror does not work against this mentality. Terror only works against a beaten down, already terrorized population.
The news today talked of all the flags on display on September 12, 2001. Stores sold out of flags and people painted flags on their houses, made signs and flags out of anything. How many fly the flag today? I do. Our town puts the flag out for all summer on the utility poles. We also put up holiday banners for Christmas. It's a small town, a nice place to live and raise kids. We know our neighbors and help each other. We have town celebrations and work hard to remain a small town with small town values. We wave to farmers on large equipment as it rolls slowly by, we yell "Dinner's down" at 6 pm when the fire whistle sounds and we know that it's a real fire call when the whistle blows the old air raid tone. The kids move away from the street when that happens since the volunteers will be coming to the firehall quickly to help a neighbor or stranger who needs help. I buy fresh corn from the honor stand in front of the farm where it was grown. We have bonfires and roast marshmallows for fun on crisp fall evenings. We go out and help a neighbor clear snow or downed branches, trade plants from our gardens and laugh over funny moments.
Why am I so sure the USA will withstand any attack from outsiders? They don't know us. Most are like me- going about their business, trying to raise a family in peace and generally mild mannered. But when push comes to shove, we will not quit, we won't turn away and hide. We will stand up and do what needs to be done. We go where we need and try to help people through disasters all over the world with little thought for ourselves. We are just tough enough to get the job done and that is, as Martha would say, a good thing.

No comments: