Saturday, November 22, 2008

The Turkey Cometh

So it's less than a week to Thanksgiving. This year I'm slightly ahead of the game. I've got the turkey and sides already. The pies will get done and I'm only lacking whipping cream and cranberry sauce. I tried to get the cranberries but there was a mob by the display so I'm going to get them on my final pass through the market next week. Not too many decorations for Thanksgiving- some leaves and window clings courtesy of #1, a construction paper turkey by #2 and that's about it. Thanksgiving is like the middle child- it was never the first or last. Most of my current focus for decorations is Christmas- little paper mittens and stockings for a garland, paper cones for the advent calendar, some glue and glitter for the paper decor, a new vacuum bag for after the paper decorating, lots of little lights strung hither and yon. Little Christmas books, candles, frames, statues, stuffed animals, etc. everywhere. There is nothing as fun as stringing the 600 mini lights along the dining room molding and windows. Last year I used little transparent 3M sticky hooks to help hold the lights in place- please cross your fingers that I can find them in time to use them again this year. I have a knack for putting things in a safe place that I'll surely remember next time I need whatever. Someday I'll find so many things on time I'll finally have that psychotic break I've been waiting on.

So I agreed to be tech support for #2s class. I get to learn the Boardmaker computer program. What is that you ask? It is a program from Mayer-Johnson for communication with language delayed or impaired individuals. It is a bit daunting but I think I'll be OK. There are cool tutorials on the website and the instruction manual is huge! The goal is to create pictures with words to help the class learn the words at the same time as facilitating communication. Autism being the minefield of possibilities that it is you never really know what will work. One of my goals is to get him onto a schedule at home to ease the tantrums. He will be able to look at a book and follow the list without much help after learning all the various components. Sounds like me and my PDA. Where am I supposed to be and what do I need to get done. Same idea but it will also factor in the life skills he needs to master- getting dressed himself, brushing hair and teeth- with different brushes- breakfast, hand and face washing, etc. It's a huge list if you stop to think of all the little things we all have to do daily. Anyways, back to tech support for the class- I get to make the activity boards, pictures needed for class use or in the home to augment learning, schedules in pictures, etc. If you've heard of PECS- picture exchange communication system, you get the idea. Some of the pictures are funny- I mean that in both senses of the word. The brush your teeth picture has no nose or eyes, because the focus is on brushing the teeth. Wish me luck, I think I'm gonna be really busy!

No comments: