Monday, March 23, 2009

More renovations completed

We finally finished the upstairs of the extension. Two kids bedrooms and one large playroom. #1 is moved in and enjoying her bedroom. #2 will be moved in soon, but that requires more planning due to the autism and changing of routines. They have most of their stuff moved but some remains in #2's current room- the downstairs room soon to be known as the library and computer room. I have been working hard on sorting what makes to trip to the new area and what goes to the garage for a big garage sale this spring. I also have been working hard on turing #1's old room, which is 10 X 9, into a sewing and crafting room. I ripped out the wire closet stuff and replaced it with shelving to either side of the door to store boxes of fabric, scrapbooking supplies, felt and wool roving. I am so excited but still have much to do to have my little room done. I've got to move all the craft stuff out of the various places I've been storing it and get it arranged (and re-arranged until I'm happy) so it will be functional. My goal with the sewing room, playroom and kids rooms is to get all the stuff which belong in each room in there, organize it so it's easy to find and clean. That goal ought to take me forever. I am not organized by nature. So to give a quick peek at some of the kids area-
This is Princess #1's bed. Pink- it's all about pink! And a few hundred of her favorite stuffed friends.

This is the computer and teaching area of the playroom. I don't homeschool but I do supplement the school work with our own lessons. #1 loves picking topics to research- most recently the effect of nutrients on the body. How vitamins and minerals are digested and used. It was a colorful conversation from the start with deciding what food is healthy and which is not, taking a bite and swallowing through to the final output. #2 needs more work to reinforce the things he learns in school. Spelling, writing and pointing to items requested can be done here. There are plenty of supplies here and also in the craft area.

This is the craft area. Everything was still dumped on the table for sorting when I snapped this pic. It is now cleared with boxes by type of craft. Clay, paint, markers, color pencils, paper, etc. It looks better now. There is a book case area, and will be a train table area for our dear friend Thomas and his gazillion little train friends.
This is the puzzle area in #2's room. While the pink bed is a HUGE part of #1's room, #2 is all about his puzzles. They get put together all over the floor. Now he will have a large area for them. The toybox was hand made by my mother with a circus theme. I had decided, long beofre I knew about our joinging the 'autism circus' that his room theme would be an old time circus in a tent. His walls are canvas color with a rubbed red trim. #1 also has a handmade toybox with a beatrix potter theme.

Here is a close up of the hand painting on #2's. It says "And in the center ring" with dogs performing on a horse, a balloon and a tightrope.

Here is #1's toybox. The front is a wallpaper border with various Beatrix Potter characters. And when I get a better picture- with less sun from her window- I will post it.
The seat is hand painted.
The sides are also hand painted. Again, all this was done by my mother.

So there you get to see what has been going on here. We have been very busy since last summer with getting this all done. Most of the work was done by us around Hubby's work schedule and any time we could find. And there is always more to be done!!

No comments: