Friday, July 25, 2008

Autism is in the media lately

I guess there was a rant by Michael Savage on a radio show last week or around then claiming autism has to do with poor parenting and over diagnosis. I didn't hear it and despite a google search I can't find the rant in a full clip. The best I can do is some shorter clips on http://www.savageonautism.com/
I guess the whole thing lasted 84 seconds. At first I was ticked off- to say the least. Don't call my kid an idiot or moron, don't accuse me of fraud for having #2 tested and getting services through the school to help him have a more 'normal' life (I'll discuss normal another time), and DO NOT make it seem like I don't bust my fanny trying to raise good kids. Then I realized it took 5 minutes to push poor #2 naked and wet into this cold world. I know it was 5 minutes between the time my water broke and birth because 1. it was the longest, most painful five minutes and 2. because the nurse timed it. So if I could push that hard for 5 minutes I can do anything, even evaluate-rationally- how the rant left me feeling. I listened to the clips on the above website and realize that I had never heard of this guy before, don't really care what his opinion is, and can't see why I should worry about it. Remember the line about opinions and what they are like (you know- bad word for rectum) and that everyone has one. I'm applying that here.

That said there is something else to be added but not because I have an honest to God autistic, not just spoiled and bratty, boy. When a person is in any position that gives more attention than usual to their opinions I think they should give more than usual consideration to how their comments will be taken. Michael Savage is no more commanding of respect than anyone else- big deal he's got a talk show. Does he have an advanced degree, extraordinary experience or God given special ability? Nope- he's just a guy. The pity is that his words will influence some of his listeners and they will believe his view is gospel. Well, nothing I can do to help them. I'm doing the best I can to raise a child with a disease that most people don't understand. I have my hands full with my two kids and trying to teach them as much as I can each day. I'm not going to call for his termination or rail against the injustice of people like him having an audience. I've listened to radio hosts and agreed and disagreed but I don't let them shape my world views. Talk shows and talk radio are for entertainment, if they can bring awareness to something or help people that's great, but don't expect anything more than entertainment. As for his comment about the money we get for autism- where is it? I'm spending lots of money out of pocket to try and help #2. He gets speech, occupational therapy and special ed. services to help him but autism can be very expensive. We have spent thousands of dollars to install a fence so he can't run into the street- and that's only half of our property done so far. I can go on and on about expenses.

Wanna know the most painful parts of #2's autism? He's never said mommy or daddy to us, no I love you or I missed you, not even the toddler/preschooler harsh words of I hate you. He has no language. He is very affectionate so I know he loves me but I'd gnaw off my own arm to hear him say it. How about the uncertain future- I know, everyone worries about their kids, but my worries are quite a bit different for him than for #1. What about if I die- who will take care of him and help him learn, drag him out into the world to try new things, protect him from the world at the same time and generally be there for him?? Have I done all I can to help him? That's the question that gets me in the night. It's hard enough to wonder if I'm doing the right thing or enough to help him communicate with out someone else adding to my stress. If I think I'm low on my daily dose of stress, I can find ways to add to it myself!

I guess what it all boils down to is who is this Michael Savage to me that makes his opinion more important than anyone else's? Nobody, that's who. I don't need him to lose his job or any such thing. I'm sure that since he's explaining himself so much on the above mentioned website that he is aware of the outrage. But the only thing I hope to see come out of this is more awareness that autism is out there. There are tons of sites ripping this guy apart and spreading the word that autism isn't about lack of discipline or spankings. For myself it's just another small bump in a long hard road. Now I've gotta go and be a mom to 2 kids whose opinions mean a lot more to me than some radio guy.

No comments: