Saturday, July 19, 2008

Harry the Macaw and tales from the darkside

Yesterday my daughter and I had to make a pet shop run. The dog does like to be fed on a regular basis and although he prefers human food, I try and keep a nice dog food diet for the majority of his intake. We headed off to a local Pet Supplies Plus store and met Harry the Macaw. It was stocking time but the people were great. One even opened the cage so we could play with Harry. the Severe Macaw was thrilled- it beat hanging out in his cage watching the shelves get stocked so he came out and ate peanuts while nibbling on our hands. #1 had not been able to play with a large bird before and was thrilled. I could've done without the requests to make Harry her new roommate. Sadly, Harry is not here but he is scheduled to move to another store where he, hopefully, will be purchased soon. Before anyone decides to fill my comments with anything about not buying from pet stores- hold up. We didn't buy him, nor are we going to. It is because 1. we are still remodelling the house and drywall dust isn't good for birds, 2. $1400.00 isn't slated for a bird, 3. I would prefer a Cockatoo or African Grey and 4. the kids are too young, the house too drafty and last but not least Hubby wouldn't be happybut the 3 cats would. Anyways, #1 finally got a pinch on her finger. I think Harry was getting over stimulated by the play and the peanuts. Of course the bird pinched me many times while being gentle to her first but he finally needed to just go back into the cage and calm. Right- Harry wanted to stay out so he went on top of his cage top playground and bobbed his head at me like he was making sure I knew I was too short to get to him. Today we went back to visit and grab a pic of #1 with Harry. I think he remembered us because he was having a grand old time sticking his foot out to 'shake hands' and try to pull me back in through the bars. No bites today- just tons of friendly tasting and rubbing against us. So we have wished the bird bon chance and safe travels. Cute goofball bird.

#1 will be off to Grandma's later for a few days of spoiling and doting. We call it Spa Grandmas ever since she came home and announced "Gramma powders my bum after my bath". Must be nice. I have very fond memories of my own trips to my grandparents as a child but I do not recall bum powdering at any time. I do remember being the center of attention and enjoying every second of it. It was good to be a princess. I think I'm living Cinderellas life in reverse some days- I was a princess and now I'm a scullery maid (not even a good one, though). #2 is staying home to be the prince of the manor so I'll have to put off most of the scullery work until he's in school during the week. #2 likes to involve himself when I'm trying to clean- not help, just involve himself somehow. The only problem is his involvement usually throws a spanner in the works. Either he slows the process to a virtual stand still or he makes more of a mess than I can work around. The easiest way to clean is to wait until he's at school and go nuts. Once while sorting the playroom toybox and packing the old, outgrown toys to go to Goodwill I caught him trying to climb in the big black trash bag- oh the temptation ;). I know- don't joke about sending the kids to Goodwill- someone, somewhere has probably done it or will do it soon. I joked about Ebay and auctioning them off to the lowest bidder and sure enough, some twit did try to auction her life for a weekend, kids included. I'll warn everyone right now- I have a very dry sense of humor. I will say many things that most people wouldn't and joke about the things most parents would prefer to forget. Let's face it- kids are funny, especially when they aren't trying. They are also sometimes smelly, aggravating, strange, embarrassing, and mostly lovable.

Kid stories are a major part of my life. Not just the kind you read to the wee beasts but the kind that become family lore. #1 changed "Bippity Boppity Boo" into "Broccoli Broccoli Boo". Tell me that shouldn't become a family catch phrase. #2 is an escape artist or maybe I should say escape autist- he can get out of any clothes I put him in and at the worst time. Got workers putting in a new window? Captain Naked Bum will supervise. Is the state Dep't of Transportation taking down a tree out front before it drops more limbs into the road? Have no fear the Streaker is here. I swear I love having windows in the house except when I have to wash them or he goes dancing by them as fully attired as a naked mole rat. Add to that the fact that he is porcelain pale and he practically glows in the dark. Thank goodness the afternoon sun bounces off my windows making it impossible to see in. The morning sun doesn't do a thing for me so I tend to be more alert to 'flashdance' boy then.
Til next time.

No comments: